Diversity in Study Abroad
International education is open and available to students of ALL backgrounds. Regardless of your race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, or level of ability, there is a program for you! The Study Abroad Programs Office wants to ensure that a diverse portion of the Texas A&M student population takes advantage of the opportunity to go abroad.
Things to consider:
- Local attitudes in your host country can heavily influence the abroad experience for you, as an LGBTQ student. It’s helpful to approach expressing your sexual and gender identity as just another cross-cultural challenge.
- Before you leave the U.S., learn as much as possible about the culture-specific norms of friendship and dating for relationships between people of any sexual orientation.
- Before you go abroad, find out what kinds of legal rights LGBT persons have in your host country.
- Once abroad, connect with local support networks and GLBT communities to help ease your transition and provide a base to explore your sexual identity in the host culture.
- Texas A&M GLBT Resource Center - A resource and referral center for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender Aggies and their straight supporters.
- Diversity Abroad - Study abroad tips and resources for LGBTQ students - including a comprehensive LGBTQ Student Guide with country specific information.
- International GLBT Association - ILGA has country guides and an interavtive map with information about how GLBT issues are addressed in specific countries.
- U.S. Department of State LGBTI Travel Information - Recommendations for LGBTI travelers.
- NAFSA Rainbow SIG - This organization provides a scholarship made possible by a group of international education professionals who are committed to advocating on behalf of LGBTQI students.