Home > Student Resources > Travel Documents

Travel Documents

A passport is an official identification issued by your home country verifying your citizenship. When entering another country, you will need a valid passport. For U.S. citizens, your passport must be current for at least six months post the return date of your international experience.
  • If you do not have a valid passport or need to renew your passport, please apply for one between three and six months prior to departure.
  • For more information on applying for a U.S. Passport through the Study Abroad Programs Office, please visit our Passport Services page.
A visa is granted by the country of your destination and is written proof that you have authorization to enter. For some destinations, you may need both a passport and visa.
  • To verify country-specific entry and exit requirements, please contact your study abroad advisor (Texas A&M sponsored programs) and/or program coordinator (non-Texas A&M sponsored programs).
  • Requirements will vary based on the purpose of your visit, the duration of your visit, and your citizenship.
  • If a visa is required for your program, you will need to have a passport in order to apply for a visa.
For students with non-U.S. citizenship or who are not permanent residents, please complete the following steps prior to departure:
  1. Complete the registration process for your respective international experience (even if you are returning home to conduct research) with the Study Abroad Programs Office.
  2. Contact an international student advisor in  International Student Services (ISS) at 979.845.1924 to obtain your travel authorization. ISS will assist you in preparing the necessary paperwork to make sure you are able to re-enter the U.S. For more information regarding traveling outside of the U.S., visit the Travel and Visa Renewal section of the ISS website.
    1. F-1 status: http://iss.tamu.edu/Current-Students/F-1-Status
    2. J-1 status: http://iss.tamu.edu/Current-Students/J-1-Status